Immigrant Women’s Speakout Association
Speakout can assist women to understand their rights and options and support services available to them.
They can help women experiencing domestic violence:
- apply for Family Violence Provision (FTP)
- access financial assistance such as Centrelink payments
- apply for housing and crisis accommodation
- apply for Apprehended Violence Orders
- access legal advice
They also assist these women by providing some information on immigration regulations, providing court support and general assistance according to the needs of individual clients.
Speakout provides advocacy and community development work on issues of relevance to migrant and refugee women in situations of domestic violence. This includes to:
- convene the NESB DV Network
- represent NESB women's issues at a state level
- raise the profile of NESB women's issues at conferences and state forums
- monitor and respond to government policies and programs impacting on NESB women
- promote access and equity for NESB women
- lobby and advocate on behalf of, for and with NESB women
- act on issues identified through casework and consultations with the sector
- network and work in partnerships with government and non-Government agencies to address the needs of NESB women in domestic violence situations
- initiate, participate and support community development and community education initiatives.
The Domestic Violence Team is available to provide training to community workers, women's groups and community groups on cross-cultural domestic violence issues, and training on the Domestic Violence Provision in the Migration Regulations.
(02) 9635 8022