DVRCV Main Menu

You are here:

You are here

For women

For women

For women

If you live with someone who has hurt or abused you,  you are not alone.

Many Australian women live with someone who has been violent or abusive towards them.

Although domestic and family violence can happen to anyone, the evidence shows that in the majority of cases in Victoria, these types of violence are perpetrated by men against women. (Victoria Police 2011/12)

Women and girls constitute the majority of reported victims of family and sexual violence to Victoria Police. 77% of reported family violence victims and 89.09% of reported rape victims are women and girls (Victoria Police 2009/2010). 

It's not just physical

Abusive behaviour does not necessarily have to be physical to be recognised as domestic violence.

Other types of violence include:

  • Sexual abuse
  • Emotional abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Social abuse

See our information for Survivors for more information.

I'm worried about my children

If you are a mother, and you are experiencing violence and/or your children have experienced abuse, it's important that you know that it is not your fault, and there is support available for you and your children.

If you are experiencing violence yourself and would like advice and information on how to get help for yourself and your children, visit our Mothers information page.

If you know or suspect that your child may be experiencing abuse, you can find support, advice and information on our page for mothers whose children have been sexually abused.

Additionally, if you are a survivor of child sexual abuse who is now becoming a parent yourself, you can find support and information on our Pregnancy to Parenting page.

Services that may help

See our services listing to find help in your local area.

Image credit

Photo from Flickr by lanuiop